StatCounter

Monday, August 17, 2009

New Slayerbrotherhood - The Doom Seeker Issue #1 out now.

Hot on the heels of Gold and Glory we have the first issue of The Doom Seeker - a new Storm of Chaos/Slayer-centric WHFB webzine from some of the same team.



Overall this issue follows many of the thematic lines set out by the new issue of Gold and Glory, including the least attractive elements like liberal use of clip art and a variety of fonts. I don't consider myself to be a master of design but someone needs to step up as "Art Director" to help guide the layout and style of these webzines. While there is likely some great information in this work I find it hard to make myself read something that is presented in such a bland and uninspired style.

The issue's contents include various pictures (of varying quality), fluff/history articles, a woefully under thought out Slayer army list (did anyone play test this!?), some tutorials that don't teach much, and a random assortment of seemingly unrelated how-to and showcase pieces.

I really want to like this webzine, and I applaud the (small) community for their efforts, but the presentation really must improve if they want anyone to take a Slayer army seriously. As a Slayer fan myself it hurts to see the low quality of something like this as I feel it portrays the army and it's fans in a less than stellar light. Perhaps I should "put my money where my mouth is" and step in to help out somehow, or at least offer more specific critique and ways for the staff to improve.

Here's hoping the next issue blows the orange dye out of my hair and the piercings from my face.

It has been awhile since I posted a beer review (it always seems to be that way!) and I am getting behind on that end of the hobby (about 6-10 reviews waiting to be added to the site right now, not including my own homebrew). To rectify that situation, and to celebrate the might Slayer lifestyle, here is a review of one of the brews I had back in January from Fort Collins, CO.

Odell Brewing Company - Odell Isolation Ale

Beer Type: Winter Warmer

Appearance: 12 oz. brown bottle featuring a very wintery Odell style label. Beer poured a burnt orange-amber color with a thick off white head that faded quickly but left a nice lacing.

Smell: Lots of sweet caramel malt with a hint of hops.

First Drink: Big caramel malt flavor up front (like the smell) that is followed up by a mellow bitter hops and some more earthy flavors.

Mouthfeel: Great done mix of carbonation and full mouthfeel. You can feel it warming up your insides as it goes down.

Last Drink: A bit of smokey aftertaste, with maybe a little piny hops in the finish.

Drinkability: Well crafted and executed, I didn't like this beer much when I first tried it but I am appreciating it in a new way for this review.

Notes: Odell's brewery is in Fort Collins, Colorado and I brought this back with me on my trip. A really cool brewery and I hope I get the chance to go back at some point to try more of their excellent beer.

Verdict: 4.25 out of 5. Even though it is about 85 degrees outside right now, I really enjoyed this wintery brew!

Links: Beer Advocate and Odell Brewing Company.

No comments: