StatCounter

Saturday, September 12, 2009

The Beer Gut Tribe goes to WAR - a 2,250 list for today's tournament.

Headed off to one of the monthly tournaments at BattleForge Games today, this month it is a "Hobby" one. During the last "Hobby" tournament I went 3-0 but I still didn't get into the top 3 for prizes. Here is hoping I can make it a little closer to the sun this time around. I am also using this as a chance to try out items and combos I would normally never use so I can gauge their effectiveness in a tournament setting. My pain is your gain if you are a regular Ogre Kingdoms player!


LORDS:
Tyrant – Heavy Armor, Luck Gnoblar, Sword Gnoblar x 2, Cathayan Longsword, Gut Maw, Wyrdstone Necklace (281)

Basic "challenge machine" Tyrant. If I had the points I would give him the Greyback Pelt as well for the -1 to hit in CC. Gut Maw allows me to take some wounds and still gain them back assuming I win the challenges the Tyrant fights.

HEROES:
Bruiser – Heavy Armor, Cathayan Longsword, Luck Gnoblar, Sword Gnoblar x 2, Greatskull, Gnoblar Thiefstone (207)
Bruiser – BSB, Dragonhide Banner, Lookout Gnoblar, Sword Gnoblar x 2, Heavy Armor (234)
Hunter – Sabertusks x 2, Longstrider, Sword of Battle (235)

The Bruiser buddies go with the Tyrant in a unit of Maneaters to make up my mini star of Ogre doom. Once you add in Sword Gnoblar attacks you are looking at 27 attacks from the unit, plus impact hits (hopefully) on the charge. In a game earlier this week I charged a unit of Dwarf Hammerers and killed 10 on the charge and won combat by 2 (even against the double US banner, and super CR BSB combo).

The Dragonhide banner is probably the worst magic banner in the game and certainly over costed. It allows rerolls of 1's for 'to hit', 'to wound', and armor saves on the turn the unit with the banner charges. If it is charged it gets none of these bonuses. Luckily you still get to take benefit from the other magic effect of the banner - immunity to 'Ice Magic'. Yup. Watch out Kislev armies!!

Hunter is going Monster/Wraith hunting.

CORE:
Bulls x 3 – Champion (125)
Bulls x 3 – Champion (125)
Ironguts x 3 – Champion, Bellower (174)
Gnoblar Trappers x 9 (54)
Gnoblar Trappers x 9 (54)

Basic fodder and redirection/flank support. Double the Trapper units equals double the fun! Actually they are quite powerful when near the Hunter and using his Ld of 9 to stand up to Large Terror causing targets. Here's Sharp Stuff in your eye you damn Dragon!!

SPECIAL:
Leadbelchers x 2 – Champion (120)
Leadbelchers x 2 – Champion (120)
Scraplauncher (165)

Shooting is fun, especially when you have no real control over the results.

RARE:
Maneaters x 2 – CLS, Heavy Armor (180)
Slavegiant (175)

Maneaters form the chewy (ItP) and crunchy (Stubborn) center of my Tyrant/Bruiser/Dragonhide/reroll/27 attacks candybar. If this unit does not get the charge it may still hold up in CC (with Stubborn and a reroll from the BSB) but I am hoping it won't come to that. The Slavegiant is just fun and hopefully he stuffs something into his pants this game (last time it was a handful of Troll Slayers).

Total Points: 2,249 (of 2,250)

I have played a couple games with the Dragonhide banner now and it has actually been kind of useful. If you don't get the charge ... well you have probably lost already anyway. Here's hoping it goes well today and I have some fun games! I'll try to be better about grabbing pictures for my poorly written Battle Reports.

No comments: