StatCounter

Thursday, December 6, 2012

Beer Review - Stone Belgo Anise Russian Imperial Stout.

It's New Brew Thursday! Starting today, and every week for as long as I can manage again, I will be posting a beer review for a beer I haven't had before. Still working through a back log of beers, here is one from last year that Stone produced.

 

Stone Brewing Company - Belgo Anise Russian Imperial Stout


Beer Type: Russian Imperial Stout

Appearance: 22 oz. brown bottle with a text-heavy printed stone design. Beer poured a dark (dark!) black-brown with a nice creamy beige head.

Smell: Plenty of dark coffee malt followed by some sweetness and then... anise?! I guess that shouldn't be a surprise due to the name of this brew.

First Drink:
What you smell is what you get on taste up front. The anise cuts through quickly with a nice licorice flavor.

Mouthfeel: Big body with a bit of sticky alcohol and plenty of carbonation. Not what I was expecting.

Last Drink: More herbal flavors and sweet malt coming through now.

Drinkability:
I don't know if this is a success or not? I really don't like black licorice, but the anise has a unique flavor here. It adds something that is different and not altogether unpleasant. Perhaps I will buy one to age for a while and see if the flavor becomes more complex. Or perhaps not...

Notes: I like to see Stone branching out but I hope they don't go too far out with flavored beers. This one is pretty memorable overall, and at 12% ABV you can be sure it will leave its mark.

Verdict: 3.75 out of 5. Interesting if nothing else.


No comments: