StatCounter

Thursday, May 22, 2014

Beer Review - Great Lakes Rye of the Tiger IPA.

Not my photo! From http://behindthetap.blogspot.com

Great Lakes Brewing Company - Rye of the Tiger IPA
Beer Type: American IPA - 7.50% ABV

Appearance: 12oz brown bottle with the classic Great Lakes style label with a tiger on the front. Beer poured a orange-golden color with a thin white head that faded quickly.       

Smell: Biscuits and malt, a little caramel sweetness, and some piney hops and rye spice.    

First Drink: Here come those tiger biscuits! Next up is a bit of caramel malt and last we have that hops and bitterness. Yum!     

Mouthfeel: Medium all around, both body and carbonation.      

Last Drink: Some grapefruit and orange flavors coming through now. I don't know why... but this beer totally makes me think of tigers!!           

Drinkability: Damn fine. I love rye beers and this one did not disappoint. I'll go for it again no problem.            

Notes: Nice balance with more rye spice and less hops grassy-notes. Diggin' it.        

Verdict: 4 out of 5. Solid IPA and one of the first (only?) beers I know to make me think of animals while drinking.

No comments: