StatCounter

Thursday, August 2, 2012

Beer Review - Great Divide Belgica.

Hey! It's my birthday! That's pretty cool. It's also national IPA Day! Who knew!? In other beer related news, be sure to check out the website and application Untapp'd ... and friend me! My user name is Randroid there as well. And now on to a review...

Great Divide Brewing Company - Belgica

Beer Type: Belgian IPA

Appearance: 12 oz. brown bottle with a goldenrod colored label sporting the Great Divide design style. Beer poured a pale yellow/straw color with a big fluffy white head that left tons of lacing.

Smell: Smells like a Belgian brew! Probably comes from the yeast and hops used. Also a bit of spice in the nose...

First Drink: A mix of light fruit flavors (apples and a bit of grape) followed by something a bit clove like and ending with some citrusy bitter hops.

Mouthfeel: Seems a little light on carbonation but perhaps that is what they were going for here.

Last Drink: I'm getting a lot more of the sweetness from the malt now and not as much of the hops.

Drinkability: Not bad overall but I kept waiting for it to really come together to blow my socks off.

Notes: This beer was quite expensive at the FLBS (friendly local beer store) and I was expecting a little more bang for my buck.

Verdict: 3.75 out of 5. Not quite Belgian and not quite IPA enough to really get me going.

1 comment:

Alex said...

Happy birthday! Really enjoy the beer reviews, keep it up