StatCounter

Saturday, May 10, 2008

Progress Report - 5/10/08.

I have been neglecting two of the topics this gnoblog was created for: The creation of my Ogre Kingdoms army, and drinking beer.

Today I will rectify this situation!

Last week I finished the main assembly of my first Ogre Kingdoms Battalion Box when I completed my Leadbelchers. I knew I wanted to get a box of Ogre Bulls to convert into Butchers, mostly because I don't really care for the GW Butcher model (it looks a little ... toothy).

I considered buying a Tyrant model to fill out my army until I can spring for a Hunter, Gnoblar Trappers, Gorgers, Scraplaunchers, Yhetees, etc.

I went to a store here in Austin, BattleForge Games, in an attempt to supporting the local gaming community. This was my second time in this store (the first was to purchase the Battle For Skull Pass boxset) and I was still not impressed with their Ogre Kingdoms model selection or price.

I know the price is somewhat out of the retailers hands, as it is controlled by GW, but I also know I could find the models cheaper online. Lucky for them I am an impatient man! After pricing out the box of Bulls, and a Tyrant model, I realized I was close to $85.00. The Ogre Kingdoms Battalion box was priced at $90.00. I decided to go with another box and convert one of the Iron Guts into a Bruiser/Tyrant in addition to the two Bulls which would become Butcher models.

Today I made it to another Hobby store here in town to find two part epoxy putty which I could use to modify the models in the second Battalion box I had purchased. They didn't sell "Green Stuff" so I had to settle for some Tan colored A/B epoxy putty. I also purchased some chains, glue, and base texture so I wouldn't have to come back later.

Tonight I sat down and worked on completing the modifications I had made to my original Battalion box models, adding straps for kegs of ale and various weapons, before finishing with a textured cloth/animal hide hood for my Battle Standard model (he is wearing a skull mask and it looked bad just glued on with nothing covering the back of his head).

I do not have a digital camera to show pictures of the works in progress, but this is something I am hoping to rectify in the near future.

While I was working on these modifications I was also drinking a tasty brewed beverage; Red Hook "Long Hammer" India Pale Ale. My review follows:
Beer Type: American IPA

Appearance: 12oz. brown bottle with a green, white, and yellow label featuring a big hammer on it. Cool. Poured a light yellow-orange color with a thick head that quickly faded to a light lacing.

Smell: Hops and a touch of sweetness. Mostly just hops.

First Drink: As expected with any IPA the hops is the first thing that jumps out. It isn't overpowering and seems mellowed somewhat by something else I can't quite pinpoint.

Mouthfeel: Medium mouthfeel with a good level of carbonation. I can't really say it is good or bad, but it is in line with the other Red Hook beers I have had.

Last Drink: More sweetness now with a touch of sour citrus ... maybe grapefruit? The hops took on a sort of floral flavor as the beer warmed up.

Drinkability: Not the harshest Pale Ale out there and certainly drinkable. I tend to drink a lot of Red Hook brews but this is mostly due to them being on sale at the local market where I can get a $7.99 six pack for $4.99. This beer is quite good for a $4.99 six pack but there are others I would choose at the $7.99 price.

Notes: When I first started drinking beer I absolutely hated IPA and Pale Ale style beers. I must have had some poor examples of them then, because I drink them almost exclusively now when given the chance (Real Ale Fireman's #4 being my favorite).

Verdict: 3.25 out of 5. This is probably the best Red Hook brew I have had, far superior to their ESB.

No comments: