StatCounter

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Happy Samhain!

I love October so the 31st has always been a bittersweet day for me. Halloween is my favorite holiday but November has always been a bit of a downer. Lucky for me there is the Celtic holiday of samhain (or samhein - pronounced SAH win)!

Drinking, dressing like dead things, and setting fires has always seemed like a good idea at this time of year. Speaking of drinking and burnt things... how about a nice fall seasonal?



Magic Hat Brewing Company - Odd Notion (Fall 2009)

Beer Type: Belgian Dark Ale

Appearance: 12 oz. brown bottle with a black Magic Hat label and a skeleton on it. Beer is dark! Really dark brown with some red hues and a biege head.

Smell: Lots of burnt stuff. Almost like a barbecue. Dark, roasted, sweet, smells.

First Drink: Just as dark as the smell with a heavy earthy flavor, quickly followed with a sweet malt or chocolate milk flavor.

Mouthfeel: Not as heavy as I would expect from the smell and color. More of a medium body that goes down smooth.


Last Drink: A hint of whiskey now, perhaps some dried fruits, and a lot more smoke. Odd ...

Drinkability: This is a Fall seasonal I am drinking in the Winter and it still tastes amazing. Wow!

Notes: Quite unlike any beer I can name and the flavor is one I will remember. Thanks Magic Hat!!

Verdict: 4.25 out of 5. Too bad this is a one time seasonal brew, I could get used to drinking this.

Links: Beer Advocate and Magic Hat Brewing Company.

Hope you too can enjoy the end of October with a good drink, good company, and safe journeys.

No comments: