StatCounter

Friday, May 1, 2009

Cap City Madness!



I've been running around for the past few hours trying to get everything done for Cap City tomorrow. I didn't manage to complete all of my painting but I got at least a base coat on everything. Hopefully that counts for something!

Went to the early registration this evening and got my player packet. Going to be playing some really fun scenarios that should be a fun challenge for me and the Beer Gut Tribe. One of them is about taking over all the taverns on one street. If I can't manage that I will be very sad! Wish me luck ...

Speaking of beers:



I completely forgot to mention that my first batch of homebrew was bottled and aged! About half of the batch is gone now and the verdict so far is ... its good! Second batch is bottled and aging now but I have a feeling it won't be quite as good. Picked up the ingredients for a cheap Black Ale but I haven't brewed it yet. Maybe after all of the GT madness is over.

Speaking of madness, it has been way too long since I posted a beer review!



Left Hand Brewing Company - Polestar Pilsner

Beer Type: German Pilsener

Appearance: 12 oz. brown bottle a fairly classic example of Left Hand images (sawtooth, the logo, etc). Beer poured a light yellow. Just a slight head that quickly faded.

Smell: Grains (wheat, hay, grass), a little bit of lemon or citrus, and a bit of floral hops.

First Drink: A kind of grassy flavor with some of the hops followed by a sweeter lemon finish.

Mouthfeel: Light with what seems to be the right amount of carbonation for a pils.

Last Drink: Picking up a little more of a spice now? Makes me think of ginger or lemongrass.

Drinkability: Not quite what I imagine when I reach for a pilsner and overall I wasn't terribly impressed with this beer.

Notes: I haven't had too many beers from Left Hand but they have a large cult following. So far I have to say they are pretty low on my "breweries I like" list. I will give their other brews a chance before I stick to that verdict though.

Verdict: 3 out of 5. Far from the worst I have had but not what I would go for if I was looking to buy an expensive six pack.

Links: Beer Advocate and Left Hand Brewing Company.

No comments: