StatCounter

Sunday, January 18, 2009

New Year, same Warhammer.

Wow. It has been far too long since I posted here. The onslaught of the Holidaze, coupled with a "vacation" to Colorado, has conspired to keep me away from my beloved Gnoblog! No more I say! No more!

I think the Dark God Nurgle may have blessed me with some strange (and not so wonderful) gift over the past couple weeks. It started out right around Xmas with a sore throat and blisters on my lips. Turns out I was probably getting a bit too close to a little too much super glue for my own good. My body reacted violently to glue fumes and burst into horrible sores on my lips and in my throat (around my sinuses). What followed was about a week of non-stop pain every time I breathed, swallowed, talked, sneezed, burped, ate, drank, or did anything at all that might briefly pass the open sores.

Lesson learned. Glue in a well ventilated area and don't do so much of it all at once! I was so excited about my new Vampire Counts army I tried to get as much done as I could before leaving on vacation. This frenzy of assembly is likely the culprit to my glue induced misery.

Shortly after I was mostly healed I hopped in my car and drove up to Fort Collins, CO to stay with F's sister and her family for a holiday vacation. The drive wasn't bad and the time went by fairly quick. Upon arriving we spent the first couple days in nature and bars. Somewhere along the way I was further blessed by Nurgle coming down with a case of violent stomach duress. Spending 12+ hours puking your guts out and another few days laying in bed moaning is not what I would recommend for a vacation. Felt better just in time to drive back home to Texas and the world of breakfast tacos, warm winters, and cheap beer.

So what is the point of any of that and how does it relate to Warhammer? Good question! While I was in Colorado I tweaked my first VC list and played it against a 1k O&G list this past Tuesday. It was my first time playing the undead and I learned quite a bit about what works and what doesn't. In the end victory was mine as I ran five units off the board and killed the remaining few. I have to say that playing VC is a far different game from playing the OK. I won't go so far as to say it was "easier", but somehow I just felt more in control of what was happening on the battlefield.

As much as I want to continue work on my VC I am wrapped up in a bigger project at the moment; preparing my OK Beer Gut Tribe for their first appearance at the local gaming store and my first WHFB Tournament. The tourney is next Saturday and will be played at BattleForge Games here in Austin. It is a "hobby" tournament which means theme and fun factor play into the overall score more than a solid competitive list. This suits me well as I don't really have the models to make a truly "competitive" OK list at the moment. The point total for the event is 2250 and that will take almost all of my models (minus a couple Bulls and Gnoblars) to hit. Here is the list I am taking to the event:
LORD:
Tyrant – Heavy Armor, Luck Gnoblar, Tenderizer, Jade Lion, Mawseeker (301)

HEROES:
Hunter – Longstrider, Sabertusk x 2 (210)
Butcher – Siegebreaker, Skullmantle (180)
Butcher – Bangstick, Dispel Scroll (180)

CORE:
Bulls x 3 + Bellower (115)
Bulls x 3 + Bellower (115)
Ironguts x 4 + Bellower (202)
Ironguts x 3 + Bellower (154)
Gnoblar Trappers x 9 (54)
Gnoblar Trappers x 9 (54)

SPECIAL:

Yhetees x 3 (195)
Leadbelchers x 2 + Bellower (120)
Leadbelchers x 2 + Bellower (120)

RARE:
Slavegiant (175)
Gorger (75)

Total Points: 2250 (of 2250)
I played this list on Friday against a Dwarf Anvil of Doom list that was pretty balanced. A couple Bolt Throwers, Organ Gun, some Miners, Warriors, Longbeards, Slayers, Hammerers, the Anvil, Quarrelers, Thunderers, and a Gyro.

Started out pretty bad as I was getting shot to bits. The MVP of the game was my Slavegiant who utterly destroyed the Slayer unit on a flank and proceeded to run into a unit of Thunderers and take them out. He finally charged the rear of a unit of Warriors and crushed them as they fled. Still had 2 wounds and about 6 Dwarfs in his pants at the end of the game! I love this guy!

My Gorger came in on turn 2, hid behind a unit of Warriors who moved out of the way and was utterly destroyed by 10 shots from the Organ Gun.

One unit of IG was demolished by Longbeards after a bad charge, and my two units of Trappers did NOTHING the ENTIRE GAME. My Yhetees got stuck behind one unit of them and was worthless as well.

The Tyrant and Siegebreaker Butcher ran with 3 IG and smashed through a unit of Hammerers before flanking the Longbeards (having lucked out as the Anvil misfired and the Hammerers were not able to charge the unit).

It was at least a Solid Victory, perhaps a Massacre, but it didn't change my mind about the crappiness of Leadbelchers and the Hunter. The first unit of Leadbelchers was shot to bits before finally making it into range and MISFIRING to blow themselves up. The second unit also took heavy shooting casualties before getting off a pathetic 4 shots doing only 1 wound. I really hate these guys.

All in all it was a good game although somewhere during the game I lost one of my painted Gnoblar Trappers! I have no idea where he went as it was on the table during deployment and then it was gone at the end of the game. Very strange ...

Here is a picture of the partially painted and fully primed 2250 army I am taking to the event:



Hopefully I will manage to get some more of the models in this picture finished before next Saturday! Wish me luck, I'm sure I will need it.

No comments: