StatCounter

Thursday, May 23, 2013

Beer Review - Greenbush Brother Benjamin

 
Greenbush Brewing Company - Brother Benjamin
Beer Type: American Double/Imperial IPA - 10.10% ABV

Appearance:
An interesting looking label on a 12 oz brown bottle, beer poured a hazy light brown color with a nice thick head. A lot of visible carbonation on the pour!!      

Smell: Plenty of aroma here - first up is some sweetness, then we have floral and fruity scents, last a bit of spice? You can smell a bit of the booze too. 

First Drink:
Smooth malt gives way to a big bitter punch while the finish has a bit of alcohol burn and more herbals flavors along with the hops.  

Mouthfeel: A little too much bite in the carbonation department, it's getting the roof of my mouth, but plenty of body with a slightly sticky finish.  

Last Drink: A lot more of the bitterness and hops coming through now. Piney and I am not sure I like that.          

Drinkability: A big beer with a big price tag. A local MI brew so I wanted to try it but not sure I would go for this on a regular basis.          

Notes: I can see this beer being compared to Bell's Hop Slam and while I am not enthralled with that beer I can see the difference in perfecting the brew. This one seems a little rough around the edges still.          

Verdict: 3.75 out of 5. Has me interested in trying more beers from this brewery!    

No comments: