StatCounter

Friday, September 15, 2017

The Greenboyz mega catchup post #1 (52 minis weeks ???)

Hi blog. Hi couple of you that read this from time to time. Long time no see. Hope things are going well for you in life. Things are going very well for me and I have been quite busy working on a fun little Goblin team for Blood Bowl.

The Greenboyz!

Those Blood Bowl fans out there may recognize The Greenboyz from their one appearance in White Dwarf issue #101 with this little snippet:


Things weren't going so well for The Greenboyz back in that season but they turned it around for the 2487-2488 season when they managed to crush every team in their way to the championship. What happened you ask? Well nobody really knows... but most everyone is pretty sure it had to do with cheating.
"I reckon our win streak in '87 came down to two fings: cheatin' and not gettin' caught cheatin'..." - Kleva Klogz, lead scorer for The Greenboyz
The Greenboyz roster from their winning season in 87-88
Earlier this year I was invited to participate in a special kind of Blood Bowl event that focused on the Teams of Legend from Death Zone Season 2. While I wasn't planning on creating and painting a Goblin team when the chance came up to take on the role of Head Coach for The Greenboyz I just couldn't say no! (and it wasn't even because of the copious amounts of ale I was bribed with I swear)

And so the construction of this mighty team of legend began with...  bunch of shopping and chopping.


My goals for the team were:
1. Create a cohesive looking team of Goblins with various model ranges including GW.
2. Show each of the "skills" for the player in a visual way with conversions.
3. Have fun and embrace the Goblin aesthetic of The Greenboyz.

I'm pretty sure I achieved all of these goals and more! Once the main body of the team was complete I began work on the pieces I wanted for the sidelines. One of these was very important... a way to represent The Greenboyz constant Fame +2. I chose to model stands full of drunk fans and also build an early Mark I version of "The Monstrous Mangler" - the most impressive secret weapon to ever exist, and ultimately the secret weapon which killed off the triumphant Greenboyz in the year 2492. In my version of this secret weapon the Goblins created a way to drive the actual stadium stands on to the pitch in the ultimate of pitch invasions!


Still needed a few more sideline figures like Coaches, Cheerleaders, and the Apothecaries. I managed to get that done as well as the start of the team bus!


My vision for the bus was simple and recognizable. A very famous goblin truck...


With the added sideline complete it was time for a color scheme. Since The Greenboyz did not have official GW colors from the fluff (unlike most Teams of Legend) I worked up a color scheme that was really focused on both Goblins and the name Greenboyz. GREEN


With my test model done I moved on to the massive painting project of all the fans in the stands, the sideline minis, and finally the team. I also managed to bodge up a couple more Goblins for when the stars of The Greenboyz want some back up (or get squashed by other Blood Bowl teams) and to fill up the roster.


Next time... what happened at Legends Cup? Where else did The Greenboyz play (hint: it was Chaos Cup)? What is in store for the team moving forward? Check back here for more details Goblin fans!

No comments: