StatCounter

Friday, December 21, 2012

Beer Review - Stone 11.11.11 Vertical Epic.

New Brew Thursday on Friday! Because I forgot to do this yesterday!! Another beer from the "archives"...



Stone Brewing Company - 11.11.11 Vertical Epic


Beer Type: Belgian Strong Ale

Appearance: 22 oz. brown bottle a sunburst of 11.11.11 and some text printed on. Beer poured a crimson/copper color a thin off-white head like many Stone brews. A decent longevity to the head which is always nice (and some lace too).

Smell: I smell malty banana way up front and something a bit spiced lingers in the nose. Not quite sure how this will taste judging from the smell alone. 

First Drink: Woah chili flavor? I guess I should have read the bottle description before I tasted this. The "banana" in the nose is probably from the sweetness of the green chilies used in this brew.

Mouthfeel: Bold and smooth all at the same time. A bit sticky like most Stone brews I have had but the sensation is welcomed and quite nice with this flavor profile.

Last Drink: Now we're getting a lot more complex. Fruity Belgian yeast is coming through along with a bit of the cinnamon (almost like a nice buttery slice of cinnamon toast). The chilies are there but aren't as present with continued drinks. Complex and quite damn good! 

Drinkability: Too rare and complex to chug, but I would certainly drink this again if I am given the chance. This is the first time I have tried any of these "Vertical Epic" beers and I wish I had been able to try more. 

Notes: Good times! Not quite what I was expecting and the "heat" kept creeping through the high ABV in a nice way... leaving me feeling warm all over. 

Verdict: 4.75 out of 5. One of the best limited edition Stone brews I have had, this one has me looking forward to future iterations in the series.



No comments: